The Donetsk international airport will not handle flights until June 30, according to a decision by Ukraine’s State Aviation Administration, a statement on the airport's website states.
"This directive is connected with the inability to ensure flight safety because of the armed conflict in the region. This period may be extended if necessary," the statement said.
Resumption of flights is only possible after the situation stabilizes and the Ukrainian aviation authorities establish control over compliance with all international flight safety standards and requirements, the statement said.
As previously reported, the Donetsk airport stopped handling flights at 07:00 on May 26 after gunmen from the self-proclaimed People's Republic of Donetsk appeared there. A military operation by the Ukrainian security forces drove the gunmen from the airport and killed some of them. The State Aviation Administration last extended the ban on flights to the Donetsk airport on May 30, until June 6.